a tumblr for poems and writing.
FAQ page / ask / submit / online poetry directory / featured posts
To grow old is to lose everything.
Aging, everybody knows it.
Even when we are young,
we glimpse it sometimes, and nod our heads
when a grandfather dies.
Then we row for years on the midsummer
pond, ignorant and content. But a marriage,
that began without harm, scatters
into debris on the shore,
and a friend from school drops
cold on a rocky strand.
If a new love carries us
past middle age, our wife will die
at her strongest and most beautiful.
New women come and go. All go.
The pretty lover who announces
that she is temporary
is temporary. The bold woman,
middle-aged against our old age,
sinks under an anxiety she cannot withstand.
Another friend of decades estranges himself
in words that pollute thirty years.
Let us stifle under mud at the pond’s edge
and affirm that it is fitting
and delicious to lose everything.
- krrnpoetry reblogged this from krrnrose
- thelighthousegirl likes this
- wishverse reblogged this from grammatolatry
- moonstru-ck likes this
- nonexistenti likes this
- khle likes this
- favoriteboy likes this
- iflovebeblind reblogged this from grammatolatry
- wasteddaylights reblogged this from grammatolatry
- burgunz likes this
- immichmarie likes this
- briefthings likes this
- krrnrose reblogged this from grammatolatry
- slsanchez likes this
- daxxxx reblogged this from grammatolatry
- sonnateers365 likes this
- iflovebeblind likes this
- krrnrose likes this
- somnusandsomnia likes this
- alohadevi likes this
- futurelonelycatlady likes this
- iamhungryallthetime reblogged this from grammatolatry
- daydreameres likes this
- rebel-rose likes this
- commovente likes this
- birdonwing reblogged this from grammatolatry
- ohnewfree likes this
- birdonwing likes this
- bookbroken likes this
- fivegiraffes likes this
- m834 reblogged this from grammatolatry
- m834 likes this
- francescabahug likes this
- inwonderment likes this
- aparigraha likes this
- heydracula likes this
- alllthebaconandeggs likes this
- grammatolatry posted this