FAQ page / ask / submit / online poetry directory / featured posts
Because my husband would not read my poems,
I wrote one about how I did not love him.
In lines of strict iambic pentameter,
I detailed his coldness, his lack of humor.
It felt good to do this.
Stanza by stanza, I grew bolder and bolder.
Towards the end, struck by inspiration,
I wrote about my old boyfriend,
a boy I had not loved enough to marry
but who could make me laugh and laugh.
I wrote about a night years after we parted
when my husband’s coldness drove me from the house
and back to my old boyfriend.
I even included the name of a seedy motel
well-known for hosting quickies.
I have a talent for verisimilitude.
In sensuous images, I described
how my boyfriend and I stripped off our clothes,
got into bed, and kissed and kissed,
then spent half the night telling jokes,
many of them about my husband.
I left the ending deliberately ambiguous,
then hid the poem away
in an old trunk in the basement.
You know how this story ends,
how my husband one day loses something,
goes into the basement,
and rummages through the old trunk,
and he uncovers the hidden poem
and sits down to read it.
But do you hear the strange sounds
that floated up the stairs that day,
the sounds of an animal, its paw caught
in one of those traps with teeth of steel?
Do you see the wounded creature
at the bottom of the stairs,
his shoulders hunched over and shaking,
fist in his mouth and choking back sobs?
It was my husband paying tribute to my art.
- iknowyouwillbehappyhere reblogged this from ghostwriters
- cerseiwonderland likes this
- jay-gatsbys likes this
- moonspear reblogged this from grammatolatry
- itsbootime reblogged this from jeflew
- nous-contre-eux likes this
- american-grotesque likes this
- shed-on-the-roof likes this
- en-fait reblogged this from davidfloodsterwallace
- en-fait likes this
- davidfloodsterwallace reblogged this from jeflew
- greatish likes this
- jeflew reblogged this from mythologisingme
- mythologisingme reblogged this from emmajanefalconer
- justgo likes this
- falsealarms reblogged this from grammatolatry
- herbert-sherbert likes this
- misomesha likes this
- accidentaltheme likes this
- dominicrook likes this
- itsinthetrees likes this
- mermaidforest likes this
- asapdothraki likes this
- cottonmouths likes this
- ascendent reblogged this from jillianomicon
- effyourfeelings-nemo likes this
- sniggadoodles reblogged this from sniggadoodles
- secretsitelltheinternet likes this
- rjxr reblogged this from grammatolatry
- rosiemaddraphotoaday likes this
- cheia likes this
- myhotcaffeine likes this
- reigningonheaven reblogged this from gusings
- gamgeee reblogged this from gusings
- gusings reblogged this from robotnoise
- deontological likes this
- robotnoise reblogged this from jillianomicon
- ascendent likes this
- seschat likes this
- jillianomicon reblogged this from nadrismy
- nadrismy reblogged this from grammatolatry
- prettyprettypoems reblogged this from grammatolatry
- zpiernikapaz likes this
- 334534 reblogged this from grammatolatry
- mrstofer likes this
- aquavelva likes this
- spanghew reblogged this from arsvitaest
- eyesockets likes this
- frozenseawithin reblogged this from onehundreddollars